1) PICK A PROJECT
Explore our Volunteer Abroad opportunities and decide where you will go, what project you will volunteer on, when you will go, and for how long.
2) VERIFY YOU'RE READY TO JOIN
Only apply when you are completely sure that, if accepted, you will join. With how affordable, flexible and popular UBELONG Volunteer Abroad opportunities are, we receive more applications than we have spots for. So, it’s important that if we accept you and put a spot aside for you that you actually join.
If you apply and are accepted, but then quit, it will negatively affect your chances of being accepted into a UBELONG program in the future. Additionally, only apply once – if you are not accepted to your first choice we will get in touch to help you find an alternative.
Steps to take before applying:
1. Review the page of the location where you want to volunteer in, as well as the description of the project you want to join. Pay particular attention to the project’s requirements to participate, minimum time commitment and project schedule. Click here to navigate to the page of the location where you want to volunteer in.
2. Ensure your dates are finalized, which means checking work and school schedules, as well as any commitments you may already have.
3. Have your funds ready to pay for the UBELONG fees and any additional fees, especially flights to your location. Do not apply if you are still waiting for funding, for example from an employer or university – if you need a letter from us for your funding process, contact us so we can help you meet your requirements.
4. If you are applying as part of a group of two or more, please keep these points in mind:
- Each group member should submit his or her own application.
- Everybody in the group should apply within the same 24 hours so we can review all the applications together.
- In part 1 of the application there is a field where each person types a common group name. The group makes up its own name, past examples: For a couple, “Jane and John”. For friends, “Peter, Trent and Mike”. For large groups, “Cornell summer 2015 team” or “Jake’s winter 2016 team from Chase Manhattan”.
- If you want to house together or volunteer on the same project, please let us know in your application. We will do everything we can to accommodate you; generally it is not a problem as long as you let us know in your application.
Apply online using our application form. It’s easy to fill out and you can submit it online.
Once we receive your application, within five days* we will:
- Determine your eligibility for the project you are choosing.
- Ensure there is an opening for you.
- If you are accepted, email you an Acceptance Letter. At this time we will also introduce you to your UBELONG Mentor, a highly qualified member of our team who will work with you to help make your UBELONG experience a great one.
*We may need up to ten days to accomplish the above if:
- You are applying to a high skilled project, for example a business or health one.
- You are applying during a busy time, for example around holidays in the United States, which is where we are based.
- You are applying as part of a group of two or more people.
4) SUBMIT FORMS AND PAY FEES
Within three business days of receiving your Acceptance Letter, review and agree to our Volunteer Liability Waiver and Code of Conduct, and pay the fee as per the instructions that your UBELONG Mentor sends you.
The US$200 reservation fee is due right away. For the program fee:
- If the start date of your placement is more than 120 days away, then the program fee is due at least 120 days before your start date.
- If the start date of your placement is less than 120 days away, then the program fee is due right away with your reservation fee.
- You can pay via PayPal (which includes credit and debit card), bank wire, United States Postal Service money order or certified bank check. We do not accept cash or personal checks.
Your placement is only confirmed once we receive your Liability Waiver, Code of Conduct and fees. Once we receive these items, we will:
- Email you a Confirmation Letter to let you know we have received your documents and fees, and confirmed your placement.
- Email you the preparation materials, which include a Preparation Booklet and training videos. During this time your UBELONG Mentor will also offer you the opportunity to meet on the phone or on Skype for a one-on-one Briefing Meeting.
To learn about our cancellation and refund policy, see our terms and conditions.
5) PREPARE FOR YOUR TRIP
Once you are confirmed, review your Preparation Booklet, which offers a wealth of information about getting ready for your trip, as well as the training videos we will send you.
Additionally, work closely with your UBELONG Mentor to go over pre-departure details and any questions that you may have. You can also meet your UBELONG Mentor on the phone or on Skype for a one-on-one Briefing Meeting.
Finally, connect with past, current and future UBELONG Volunteers on the UBELONG Facebook page.