1) Pick a project
Explore our Volunteer Abroad opportunities and decide where you will go, what project you will volunteer on, when you will go, and for how long. It’s a fun process, enjoy!
If you have a question we do not answer on our website, ask our community on Facebook or contact us. You should also browse through the hundreds of UBELONG Volunteer interviews in our blog.
“I chose UBELONG because it is a safe, highly reputable, and very affordable organization that is dedicated to making a positive difference around the world.” Abigail MacWilliams, UBELONG Ecuador Volunteer from the United States – read her interview here.
Depending on your profile, you may also want to browse through the following links from our How You Fit section:
2) Verify you're ready to join
Please only apply when you are completely sure that, if accepted, you will join. With how affordable, flexible and popular UBELONG Volunteer Abroad opportunities are, we receive more applications than we have spots for. So, it’s important that if we accept you and put a spot aside for you, you actually join.
If you apply and are accepted, but then quit, it will negatively affect your chances of being accepted into a UBELONG program in the future. Additionally, please only apply once – if you are not accepted to your first choice we will get in touch to help you find an alternative. We are here to help you!
Steps to take before applying:
1. Review the page of the location where you want to volunteer in, as well as the description of the volunteer project you want to join. Pay particular attention to the project’s requirements to participate, minimum time commitment and project schedule. Click here to navigate to the page of the location where you want to volunteer in.
2. Ensure your dates are finalized, which means checking work and school schedules, as well as any commitments you may already have.
3. Have your funds ready to pay for the UBELONG fees and any additional fees, especially flights to your location. Do not apply if you are still waiting for funding, for example from an employer or university – if you need a letter from us for your funding process, contact us so we can help you meet your requirements.
“UBELONG allowed me a volunteer opportunity that fit into my busy schedule, was very affordable, and brought me personal growth and cultural experience that helped me advance in every way.” Amanda Skowbo, UBELONG Ghana Volunteer from the United States – read her interview here.
Apply online using our application form. It’s easy to fill out and you can submit it online.
Once we receive your application, within five days* we will:
- Determine your eligibility for the volunteer project you are choosing.
- Ensure there is an opening for you.
- If you are accepted, email you an Acceptance Letter. At this time we will also introduce you to your UBELONG Mentor, a highly qualified member of our team who will work with you to help make your UBELONG volunteer trip a great one.
*We may need up to ten days to accomplish the above if:
- You are applying to a high skilled project, for example a business or health one.
- You are applying during a busy time, for example around holidays in the United States, which is where we are based.
“I am really happy I became a UBELONGer, and I must confess that if I could go back in time I would have taken exactly the same decision! Everything went well and each time that I needed help someone was always there for me.” Ines Torres, UBELONG Cambodia Volunteer from Portugal – read her interview here.
4) Submit forms and pay fees
Within 3 business days of receiving your Acceptance Letter, review and agree to our Volunteer Liability Waiver and Code of Conduct, and pay the fee as per the instructions that your UBELONG Mentor sends you.
The US$295 reservation fee is due right away. For the program fee:
- If the start date of your placement is more than 120 days away, then the program fee is due at least 120 days before your start date.
- If the start date of your placement is less than 120 days away, then the program fee is due right away with your reservation fee.
- You can pay via PayPal (which includes credit and debit card), bank wire, United States Postal Service money order or certified bank check. We do not accept cash or personal checks.
Your placement is only confirmed once we receive your Liability Waiver, Code of Conduct and fees. Once we receive these items, we will:
- Email you a Confirmation Letter to let you know we have received your documents and fees, and confirmed your volunteer placement.
- Email you the preparation materials, which include a Preparation Booklet and training videos. During this time your UBELONG Mentor will also offer you the opportunity to meet on the phone or on Skype for a one-on-one Briefing Meeting.
To learn about our cancellation and refund policy, please see our terms and conditions.
“UBELONG has great ratings, and many different countries to go to. Because of all of the great things everyone said, I thought why not? I do not regret my decision!” Tina Secora, UBELONG Costa Rica Volunteer from the United States – read her interview here.
5) Prepare for your trip
Once you are confirmed, review your Preparation Booklet, which offers a wealth of information about getting ready for your volunteer trip, as well as the training videos we will send you. It’s a wonderful read, enjoy!
Additionally, work closely with your UBELONG Mentor to go over pre-departure details and any questions that you may have. You can also meet your UBELONG Mentor on the phone or on Skype for a one-on-one Briefing Meeting.
Then, sit back, smile and relax. Your unforgettable UBELONG journey is about to begin!
“I knew from my numerous searches and comparisons that UBELONG was an organization I could trust. I liked it for the information and description of projects the UBELONG website presented, and because the website gave me a good, transparent glimpse into what to expect. Also, the excellent reviews of past volunteers put me at ease.” Jing Yi Yap, UBELONG Cambodia Volunteer from Malaysia – read her interview here.